Monday, August 1, 2011

Feeling a little droopy.

You know, sometimes it's the strangest things that can bring us down. Small things, silly things.

Last Friday, I took the kiddos to see the Smurfs in 3D. Their first 3D movie! Adam was so excited. I was too...I actually don't think that I've ever seen a 3D movie either!

We put on our funny-looking glasses and the movie begins. Sydney is sitting to my left and laughing at the things popping out on the screen. Adam is sitting to my right, looking confused.

"When does the 3D start, mama?"

"You can't see it, love? Those Smurfs popping out of the screen?" No, he says.

He's frustrated and mad. He wants my glasses, thinking his are broken. I immediately flash back to something Adam's eye surgeon said a few years ago. When you don't have a lens in your eye, you are unable to see in 3D.

Shit on a stick.

For those that don't know, Adam was diagnosed with a cataract in his right eye when he was 6 months old. By 9 months, the cataract had started to obstruct his vision, and the cataract and lens of his eye needed to be removed. He has worn a hard contact lens in that eye since he was 9 months old. But he still can't see in 3D because there is no natural lens in his eye.

Sigh. Yet another thing that my sweet kiddo can't experience. And how do I explain that to him? I just told him that what he was seeing was normal, but I could tell he was totally disappointed.

Add that to the fact that I'm sending him off into the wild unknown of Kindergarten, coupled with T1D in a few weeks, and I'm just sad. I want things to be easy for him and they are not. I don't want him to miss class time because of this stupid disease. I don't want him to be the last kid to the lunch table because he's got to go to the nurse first. It's not fair. I don't want a 5-year-old to have to explain that the little machine on his hip keeps him alive to all the other 5-year-olds.

I also just made a follow-up appointment with his craniofacial surgeon (yes, he totally won the genetic lottery - he was born with a cleft lip too) since it has been 2 years since his last appointment and we need to start figuring out what to do with his mouth.

It's a mess in there, people. Orthodontia for this kid is going to cost a small fortune.

So, I'm going to pour another glass of wine tonight and wait for tomorrow.

After all, tomorrow is a new day. And it will be a good one.

14 comments:

  1. I'll have a glass of wine with you! Sorry that you are feeling droopy today. It is so hard to see our little guys and girls deal with so much. And I know how hard it is to send them off to school with D. I will pray for a smooth, non-droopy :), transition into kindergarten for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, he won the mommy lottery. You are such a blessing to him. I know you're a little sad right now, but you're right...tomorrow is a new day. Thank goodness!! Love you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart, Stephanie. I'm so glad Adam is HERE with you, and that he HAS you! There are lots of things we can get down about, and God is there to listen to all of them. I wear Him out, but I'm gonna talk some more for you. ; ) Praying your day is better tomorrow and you find a silver lining. Hugs : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Lots to deal with. Just the kindergarten thing alone would knock me out. At least he's a happy kid anyway, though! That's something, right? Lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well - craptacular! That is just totally craptastic! Ok - clearly I have poop on the brain tonight and I'm trying to make you smile just a little bit. Have you had enough wine yet to enjoy my poop humor?

    In all seriousness I wish I was there with you -- we could drink a little wine, chat, just chill. And I could remind you how lucky he is to have you and what a great job you are doing raising such an awesome son. Amazing!!

    Thinking about you, Sweet Friend. I'm always here if you need a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm sorry. That broke my heart. So unfair the things kiddos have to deal with!

    I hope school goes smoothly and he has a blast! I'm sure he will.

    Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a little heartbreaking! How frustrating for him. A glass of wine is always relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THUD.

    That was my heart dropping in the movie theater :(

    You're doing a fantastic job. Kindergarten will be a transition to start, but you'll be amazed at the wonderful things your boy can do ;)

    I've got my wine. Come on over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy genetic lottery! Hit Bean, too...cleft lip, bladder reflux, & T1.
    What a heartbreaking movie experience.
    I think we need a bottle of wine, my friend! :)Crazy genetic lottery! Hit Bean, too...cleft lip, bladder reflux, & T1.
    What a heartbreaking movie experience.
    I think we need a bottle of wine, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, poor little guy!
    my two siblings have grown up perfectly healthy barely even needing glasses and I got everything.
    it sucks. seems to be common though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we as moms get more bummed about the things our kids have to endure or miss out on than they do. Adam will do fine...he is so sweet and funny, he will probably be the popular kid.
    Hope your glass(es) of wine and a good sleep brought you out of your funk.
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry your feeling so down. I have no idea how you wrap your head around it all but your doing an amazing job!!! I don't know if I could calculate all the food/medication he needs. I think he will do fine though! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. A glass? Your doing good... I drink the whole dang bottle.

    He will do great at school. Insist that he leave for the nurse 5 min early "so he has adequate time to finish all his lunch". Thats what Justin does.

    Hugs to you. Sorry about the 3D thing. That sucks with all the new stuff coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Stephanie, I somehow missed this post the other day. I am so sorry for all you are going through with Adam. Like Tracy said though, he totally won the Mommy lottery. I would feel the same as you....it's so overwhelming sometimes isn't it. I would LOVE to join you for a glass of wine. It's my preferred form of therapy. Love ya and hope today is better.

    ReplyDelete