Tuesday, December 7, 2010

It's over! Whew.

So remember my post last night when I said I was going to scoop my baby up and sleep with him all night?

Yeah. As my mom says, "no good deed goes unpunished." :)

I love snuggling with my little guy. And he REALLY likes to snuggle me too. So much so that he has to have my arm around him so he can rest his head on my arm (and leg in my face, etc. etc.) He slept on my arm all night long and when I woke up this morning and moved too quick...pain shot through my arm and into my shoulders and upper back. I couldn't look down or to my right.

So here I am after a looong day, sitting in my recliner with a heating pad on my neck. And a great friend just stopped by to massage my neck with some torture device she had (but it felt good!) and rubbed it with Tiger Balm. Now...you know you've got a good friend when she comes over after the kids are in bed to rub Tiger Balm on your sore neck!

Anyway, the surgery went well. Having T1D allows for certain perks - being first in line for surgery! The anesthesiologist was thrilled to see the Dexcom and he said that normally he'd run glucose through his IV, but since we had the Dex, we didn't need to do that (and Adam had been running high anyway.) I hated when they had to take him away from me. He was so stoic and brave up until that point...he had a death grip on my shirt and kept saying, "but mommy, I scared!" :( There was one other mom waiting there that said Adam made her cry too!

Surgery was 40 minutes and before I knew it, I was back with my baby. The nurse said he was so good - he was very calm waking up from anesthesia. I rubbed his head and belly and just let him know I was there. He was kind of funny for a moment when he said he was thirsty and the nurse got him a cup of water and Adam turned his nose up at it and said, "No! I want OUR water!" Apparently he's a water snob and wanted the water out of my bottle! He gulped that down, so all was good. Silly boy. His eye is all red and swollen...he looks like he's been in a brawl. :)

We were home by 9am, which was nice. He asked for a chocolate shake, (which in retrospect was a bad move, but it's what he wanted) so he had that while I dosed him for it. I could barely move, so we trotted up to my bed and slept for 2 hours until I was woken up by the Dex beeping "HIGH".

And thus began our day of high, high, high. I could not get that kid's blood sugar down under 350 no matter what I did. He's had more insulin today than I've ever given him before. I'm sure this is an after-effect of the anesthesia...and he has had just trace amounts of ketones. I emailed his doctor and since he's actually been high in the morning for the last few days, he had me increase his Levemir and try out a different carb ratio tomorrow. Hopefully that will get him down into a normal range. Speaking of which...I need to go check him now.

Damn. Still 309 at 9:30pm. Stubborn-ass blood sugar.

And in other EXCITING news, our Animas PING Is BeiNg ShiPpEd TOMoRRoW!

Yes, I pulled the trigger. I faxed Adam's paperwork in last Friday and got in touch with the rep today. He said everything is approved and he can have Adam's green (his favorite color!) Ping shipped out ASAP.

Wow! wow. Wow. I am amazed at how fast things have gone....I was honestly expecting both the Dexcom and the pump process to take much longer. And within the span of a few weeks, we have both!

And now I have to get sappy. I couldn't have done it without ALL of you mamas out there. Seriously...you have given me the courage to start this process, to believe that I can do it, to believe that things will be better. Hearing your pump stories and the amazing details you put into your posts have helped me SO MUCH. Reyna posted this last week....and wow. It's like she was speaking directly to me. I have read Wendy's awesome posts on the Ping over and over and over again. I love reading about Laura's experiences with the Omnipod...because I can see us moving onto tubeless in a few years. I loved the Medtronic posts from Meri...'cause I love how simple their pump is and how easy it is to use...but I wanted that damn remote. :)

So thank you, wonderful, amazing ladies of the DOC. You all hold a special place in my heart.

(and, um, I...uh...need y'all more than ever now that the pump is coming to live with us!)

And now I'm off to bed...to read Pumping Insulin.


  1. glad to hear surgery went well, hope your back feels better your friend sounds awesome! and hope those sugars come down soon! Yayayay for pings! So exciting, im sure you will yours as much as we love ours!

  2. MUAH!!! Love to you...glad it helped.

    AND...I hope Adam's numbers are down to a more manageable spectrum today Stephanie.

    And that is one uber-awesome-friend to come over to rub you back! You needed it though. I hate when I hurt my back sleeping. It can take a week or so for the pain to dissipate.

  3. I am so glad the surgery went well! Good luck with starting the pump!

  4. I have been thinking of you. Happy to hear that surgery went well and he's home. Hope you win the numbers game today!

    Can't wait to read about your pump start!

  5. I'm so glad the surgery went well! I hope those numbers come down soon. Stubborn highs drive me CraZy!!

    Like you, I have my head buried in Pumping Insulin! We start pumping one week from today. I'm so excited...but there's so much to learn! I guess we're in this together! : )