Thursday, March 24, 2011

Trip Recap!

I feel like I've been absent from my blog for awhile.

I think part of it is diabetes burnout. I know a lot of you have talked about it many times, and over the last few weeks, I've just felt like I don't want to think about diabetes, I don't want to read about diabetes and I don't want to write about diabetes. Of course, I don't have the luxury of NOT thinking about diabetes, but I do have to say, I've kind of put it on the backburner for the last few weeks, ignoring the fact that we need some basal changes and carb ratio changes for breakfast.

And, also, my amazing sister gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on Monday, so I've been a little pre-occupied with my very first nephew. :)

We did have a great trip to Disneyland. I have to say, while diabetes was always present, it didn't rule our trip. I packed well, had plenty of supplies, although Dex crapped out on us after 2 days of swimming. I brought another sensor with us, but I chose to go without it because I knew we'd be swimming again and didn't want to waste another one. Mental note: we swim a lot in the summer, must find solution for Dex for that.

We had one moment that scared me and made me glad that we stayed on property at the Grand Californian. While in line for the Monsters Inc. ride, Adam began having severe stomach cramps. His blood sugar was high and he has NEVER acted like he was in so much pain before. The people in line behind us were so sweet and asking if he was okay and even asked us if he needed a snack because they heard us talking about his diabetes. :) We were able to get him back to the hotel quickly....and he proceeded to have a "moment" with the toilet. I've never been so glad to hear "Oh, it's not his blood sugar, he's got diarrhea!" You know, you've got to make light of the moments when they come. :)

After that, we were off again and honestly, he did really well the whole time. I increased his basal rates by 30% for our 6 hour drive, and I think that next time, I'll do 40% because it wasn't enough.

I'm not sure where I heard of these, but before our trip I ordered some temporary tattoos from SafetyTat. Adam doesn't wear a Medic Alert bracelet, because honestly....he's with me all the time! I was worried about the off-chance that he got separated from us at Disneyland, so these made me feel much safer. Adam is 4, so I'm not entirely confident of him telling people he's diabetic if he got lost, so this was great:


It's awesome - a temporary tattoo that says "Diabetic" and I added my cell phone number to it. I will use these a lot in the future, for school field trips, etc.

The best part was that we had so much fun as a family. It was a great trip and made me really happy. :)






5 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes diarrhea is a good thing!!! :)

    So happy you enjoyed a great escape!

    Those tattoos are such a good idea.

    Congrats to your sister! Our cousin just gave birth last Saturday and I'm dying to get my hands on that baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing the pic's. Happy faces make happy faces!
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah who wld ever be happy to have diahorrea? the pictures are awesome, glad you had a great time. i like the temp tattoo idea, would be a great solution for little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool TATS!!!

    AND...so glad that you had a great time...and happy for the diarrhea?? LOL.

    Congrats on the nephew...fun times fo sho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the tattoo. I'm thinking about buying a box of tyvek wristbands and just having my munchkins wear them with my phone # when we go somewhere where they could get lost( which is kind of rare). The Bean's medic alert bracelet broke, and when I started shopping for a new one, I realized I really wanted something with my phone number on it. Then I realized I probably should have my phone number on all my kids... hence the tyvek wrist bands.

    ReplyDelete