Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The beginning.

In the back of my mind, I knew something was wrong. A mother always knows.

There were a few potty accidents here and there…just blips on the radar screen, figuring he was having a bit of regression.

But really, regression after a year and a half of being potty trained?

Then came the incessant need for water. I’d find him in the garage, grabbing the big bottles of water for himself. Over and over again.

Hey, it’s summer in Arizona! It’s 115 degrees out, of course he’s thirsty!

The constant eating. The little dude would throw back 4 slices of peanut butter toast in the morning and still be hungry. Then it became 8 chicken nuggets at lunch.

He’s a growing boy, right?

Wrong.

He’d actually been losing weight. Looking back at the photos of his first day of pre-K (the day before his diagnosis), I can see it now. The thin face. Dark circles under his eyes. Pale. Scrawny.

Then, that fateful Monday night when we went to IHOP for dinner as a family. Adam sucked down his milk in minutes. Then 1, then 2, then 3 glasses of water in 15 minutes. My husband and I exchanged worried glances. That night, Adam wet the bed within an hour of falling asleep. Then, with a pull-up on, he soaked through that within a few hours.

I googled. I worried. I stayed up past midnight, lurking on diabetes message boards, hoping that I wasn’t going to become a member of this sucky club.

I took Adam in to his pediatrician first thing in the morning. He drank over 20 oz of water on the way there. He had 4 pieces of cream cheese toast and was still hungry.

The nurse tested his urine. Lots of sugar. When she came in with the meter to prick his finger, I knew. His blood glucose was 550, and then I cried.

His pediatrician came in the door, took one look at me and gave me a huge hug. She said she just about cried when she saw his numbers…especially knowing what we’ve been through with Adam since he was born…cleft lip…severe reflux…cataract in his right eye at 9 months old…contact lens.

And now this. Fricking-fracking Type 1 Diabetes.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the comment on my blog and for entering my contest. What size would you like? Small or medium? Just want to make sure I enter you into the right category.

    I'm SO sorry about your son's diagnosis. I know how devastating it is. I see that you're in AZ. I am, too. If there's anything I can do to help, please feel free to contact me: diabetestales@gmail.com.

    I'm happy to answer questions, share tips, offer advice, anything. I know what you're going through, and when my son was diagnosed, it was the parents of other kids with T1D who helped us the most. It wasn't the doctors, nurses, certified diabetes educators or nutritionists. I also serve as a trained mentor for newly diagnosed families for JDRF. I can point you to some excellent, active online support groups in AZ, too. The point is: please don't hesitate to contact me, if I can support you in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we'd need the small. :)

    Wow...that is amazing you are in AZ. What are the chances? I've been searching for some local boards for info...mostly about endos. I'm looking for a new one, since I'm not thrilled with the one we ended up with at the hospital.

    Thank you so much for reaching out...you are right - I have a feeling I will learn far more from other parents rather than all of the diabetes "professionals."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie. I'm Misty and my daughter Ally is 7 yrs old, diagnosed in Feb 2009. I read your story...and I am so sorry about your son's recent diagnosis. But look at you!! Already have a blog going. The best thing I did after Ally's dx was reaching out to other D Mamas who understood what I was going through. Best of luck to you. My blog is http://www.boxofchocolatesblog.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been almost 2 years since I was in your shoes. My son was 3 and a half when he was diagnosed. I remember it seeming like my world was falling apart. I am so sorry that you are now part of this sucky club....but really the diabetes part is what sucks, the "club" part is great. So glad you found the DOC. The ladies here are amazing and truly get it. Sounds like you have had some tough challenges already so you have proven your strength. You will make a great mama pancreas (even if it something you didn't sign up for-none of us did!) Best of luck to you and your sweet boy!

    my blog is www.mysweetestboy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I commented already but I need to again.
    Sorry about the Dx, I know that helps in no way but just know we are all here to help each other through this.

    I am Alexis Mom of two, my 7 year old was diagnosed two years ago.

    I blog at JusticesMisbehavingpancreas.blogspot.com


    I am in Las Vegas, not too far from AZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. Know that we D-Moms are here for you and have a wealth of experience and knowledge to help you get through it.

    My daughter is now 6 and was diagnosed just before her fourth birthday. Please reach out with any questions that I might be able to help you with. I'm no doctor, but I know a thing or two about diabetes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in AZ. I love our endo. Of course, outside of office visits I've only talked to him a couple times when we were having problems. I think we're easy patients. :) But he's a super nice, laid back guy.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! My son is also 4 and was diagnosed about two weeks after yours i think..we share similer paths as Kreed had a Cleft Palate when he was born..wierd! I've spent this afternoon's naptime finding peace and a ton of tears in other d-mom's blogs...so thank you for writing! I'm slowly coming to terms with htis whole thing ...very slowly! lol

    ReplyDelete