Tuesday, November 1, 2011

1st Annual Type 1 Day

In honor of the first annual Type 1 Day and for Diabetes Awareness month (hello, NOVEMBER!), I'm showing you my feet.






I can't even claim any sort of credit for this idea...I shamelessly stole it from the lovely Donna. Once I saw HER toes on Facebook, I knew what I was going to be doing on 11/1/11!

Plus, our JDRF Walk for the Cure is on Saturday!!! So, why not have pretty toes for the event in support of diabetes awareness? I've already gotten quite a few comments today, and it's fun spreading the word about T1D and the need for a cure.

I've already done a lot of educating the last few days - whenever Halloween rolls around, we get tons of questions about whether or not Adam can participate.

The answer is YES! He can eat whatever he wants. Well, whatever *I* will let him eat, as his mom. :) As long as he has the appropriate amount of insulin to cover the carbohydrates he has eaten, he is golden. He had candy last night, and yes...he had a piece of candy this morning before school. Diabetes doesn't stop him from being a kid - the only difference is that he must have the right amount of insulin to match whatever he eats.

Can you imagine having to do that for the rest of your life...carefully tracking every morsel you put into your mouth? That's why we need a CURE. So that Adam doesn't have to be hooked up to a little machine 24 hours a day, 7 days a week just to live life like we do.

3 comments:

  1. Cute toes! And hooray for advocating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the nail polish! i bought some for L's bday and we're both gonna rock the blue and silver throughout november! whoo!

    ReplyDelete