Friday, July 22, 2011

Putting my new SKILLZ to the test!

This D-mama is about to embark on a new adventure. Or, a new twist on an old adventure...this mama is hitting the books and heading back to school.

I already have my BA in English...and that provided me with a decent career post-graduation. I worked as a copywriter, made a pittance for a salary, but felt creative in what I did for a living. In college, I had aspirations of being a nurse or a teacher, but I immediately dismissed those thoughts as I thought I was a.) too squeamish and b.) too afraid of public speaking to be a teacher (nevermind the fact that these would be CHILDREN I was teaching!)

The nurse thing kept nagging in the back of my head. Before kids, I volunteered at our local hospital, just loving the feeling of working in a medical setting. I hated my job at that point and dreamed of another career, preferably one where I was providing a needed service. But then the kiddos came along and I was happily ensconced in my new "career" of stay-at-home-mom.

The last few years I've been wondering what I'd do when the kids were in school full-time. Two years ago, Sydney was very ill and in the hospital for a week with a rare complication of a staph infection called Scalded Skin Syndrome. She was in the PICU and I was so interested in how the nurses took such great care of her and were true advocates for their patient. It really spurred my interest, so I attended an information session about the nursing program at our local community college with a friend of mine. I got all fired up to take some pre-requisite classes, and then I promptly....chickened out.

Fast-forward to last August. I had all of my transcripts in place and was ready to meet with a nursing adviser at the college. I found out that since I already had my degree, I only needed to take 2 pre-requisites before I could apply to nursing school. Score! I was ready to sign up for a class....then the next day Adam was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I pretty much gave up at that point.

Over the last 11 months, I have had to do things that I never would imagine I could do. Inject my son with various sharp needles, calculate and dose insulin...essentially, we are diabetic nurses on the fly! As devastating as his diagnosis was, it has been a confidence booster for me.

I can do this.

So this year...this D-mama didn't chicken out. I pushed through silly roadblocks and made the move. I am signed up for my first class this fall in 14 years. Yes, ladies, it has been 14 years since I graduated from college. I am old. I am taking a Biology class in a real classroom with kids almost half my age.

Let's hope I can remember how to do this thing called school!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations and best of luck on your new course!! How exciting! You CAN do this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I am SO proud of you!!! I can't wait to hear about your new adventure. You inspire me to do something "more" with my education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go you! You are going to be amazing at this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go... you can TOTALLY do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!! You can do this!

    I've been contemplating another degree, so I'll be cheering you on and learning from your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOoHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Congrats. This is exciting news Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your new adventure! You CAN do it! Joining the FBI was a big step for me to prove I could step out of my comfort zone and I will never regret it. BTW, I hate public speaking as well. AND...I'm pretty sure I am older than you! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, awesome, and you CAN do this indeed!

    ReplyDelete